Supports for the energy metabolism.
Provides antioxidant support.
CoQ10 is an enzyme involved in the energy metabolism in the mitochondria producing adenosine triphosphate (ATP). It is also a powerful antioxidant. While the body is producing CoQ10 , it tends to produce less as we age.
• CoQ10 has shown via a direct antioxidant effect to preserve endothelium-dependent (layer inside the blood vessels) vasorelaxation by improving tolerance to injuries from ischemia (lack of blood supply) (Yokoyama H, et al. 1996).
• Data on cardiomyopathy (dysfunction of the heart muscle) revealed a myocardial (heart muscle) deficiency of CoQ10, which was higher with increasing severity of disease and was reduced with therapy (Folkers K, et al. 1985).
• In a study at the University of Texas the researchers concluded that CoQ10 is a safe and effective adjunct treatment for a broad range of cardiovascular diseases (Langsjoen H, et al. 1994).
• CoQ10 supplementation doubles the number of CoQ10 containing LDL molecules and may therefore have an inhibitory effect on LDL oxidation (Aejmelaeus R, et al. 1997).
• Oxidation of low density lipoprotein (LDL), the so called bad cholesterol, may play an important role in the pathogenesis (disease process) of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).
• Lovastatin used to lower cholesterol also lowers the levels of CoQ10 which would induce a new risk of cardiac disease. Supplementation of CoQ10 increased blood levels of CoQ10 and was generally accompanied by an improvement in cardiac function (Folkers K, et al. 1990).
Serving Size: 1Softgel
Servings Per Container: 120
CoQ10 (ubiquinone) …………………………………………50 mg
Aejmelaeus R, Metsa-Ketela T, Laippala P, et al. Ubiquinol-10 and total peroxyl radical trapping capacity of LDL lipoproteins during aging: the effects of Q-10 supplementation. Mol Aspects Med. 1997;18 Suppl:S113-20.
Folkers K, Langsjoen P, Willis R, Richardson P, et al. Lovastatin decreases coenzyme Q levels in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1990 Nov;87(22):8931-4.
Folkers K, Vadhanavikit S, Mortensen SA. Biochemical rationale and myocardial tissue data on the effective therapy of cardiomyopathy with coenzyme Q10. Proc Natl Sci USA. 1985 Feb;82(3):901-4.
Langsjoen H, Lansjoen P, Willis R, Folkers K. Usefulness of coenzyme Q10 in clinical cardiology: a long-term study. Mol Aspects Med. 1994;15 Suppl:s165-75.
Yokoyama H, Lingle DM, Crestanello JA, et al. Coenzyme Q10 protects coronary endothelial function from ischemia reperfusion injury via an antioxidant effect. Surgery. 1996 Aug;120(2):189-96.